International conference on the 65th Anniversary of Southeast Asia languages studies
St. Petersburg State University (the Department of Oriental Studies) invites scholars to join the International conference on the 65th Anniversary of Southeast Asia languages studies in our country that will take place on 15-16 September 2020, at the SPbSU in St-Petersburg, Russia.
The systematic studies of mainland and island Southeast Asia indigenous peoples and culture, teaching languages of this region that started in 1955 at the Leningrad State University, led to the appearance of now well-known scientific school, that organically fit into the tradition of oriental studies in St. Petersburg.
The format of the upcoming conference includes plenary and breakout sessions, round tables, workshops for the young scientists. The latter can help to get students and graduate students involved into the future scientific studies.
The upcoming conference aims to address the widest range of aspects of Southeast Asian studies. Given the diversity of interests of specialists in this region, it is planned to hold sections in all aspects and directions traditional for St. Petersburg orientalism:
- Languages of Southeast Asia in synchrony and diachrony;
- Literature and oral traditions of SEA;
- Ancient and modern history of Southeast Asia;
- Religion and culture of the Southeast Asia;
- Politics and economics of Southeast Asian countries.
We plan to run the following roundtable discussion series (depending on number of participants):
- ASEAN as a regional moderator;
- China and Southeast Asia: attraction and repulsion;
- The role of the army in political processes of the region: the past and present;
- The traditional culture and art of Southeast Asia in museum collections.
The working languages of the conference are Russian and English.
Presentations will last 30 minutes in total, with 20 minutes for the report and 10 minutes for discussion.
The proceedings will be published before the conference.
- deadline for abstract submission: May 15, 2020
- notifications of acceptance: June 5, 2020
- conference dates: September 15-16, 2020
Organizing committee: B. Kasevich, S.Yu.Dmitrenko, R.A. Janson, V.N. Kolotov, E.N. Kolpachkova
- Category: Conferences
- Hits: 781